Summary

My intended communication objective was to explain the process behind the sound an electric guitar makes by condensing a complex process into simple sentences. That might sound basic but let me explain, the electric guitars sound is something we never really think about, or certainly I’ve never given much thought to and I play the guitar myself. You plug in the lead at both ends and away you go so I wanted to communicate a process we never think about.

One of the first tools we used in class was the shape tool which I used to create my background. The most significant application of this would be the background layer which allowed me to manipulate and lock my background without moving anything else around it. In moving pieces around, the grouping tool was particularly effective in adjusting the position of my circles in the second layer as well as grouping my instruments paths into one object.

The pathfinder tool was something else taught in class which had its uses in cropping out unnecessary extras. In one of my circles I used the same guitar vector as the one full sized one, so all I had to do was fit it within its position in the circle and then crop out the remaining extras.

Vectors and the pen tool allowed me to create my graphics and illustrations by tracing over the images I had taken. The Les Paul guitar and amplifier were my images but I couldn’t find any royalty free picture of the Rickenbacker. Consequently I had to make my own by using a mixture of the shape tool, creating the bottom half of the guitar and the using the pen tool in making its head and strings.

The type tool also helped in setting the tone of the infographic in keeping things simple but also pleasing on the eye. I went through a host of different fonts before deciding on the final one to use as I tried out a couple different themes for the piece. In settling on Velocette for the title, I thought it mimicked the Gibson guitar font quite well and was a compromise as I tried to create a neon-type sign which failed horribly. I had to adjust both the leading and tracking in the title, firstly to give myself more space below since there was a big gap between the lines. Secondly, the tracking between the letters was close, making my text with stroke look clunky and heavy, giving room between each of the letters really changed this to make it clear.

Colour choice was probably the hardest to figure out actually, ultimately going with a warm/natural choice in not being too abrasive. I also used gradients in an attempt to give some of my graphics dimension and depth.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s